Spirit Bomb is a new media studio and record label, producing virtual beings who live on digital platforms and IRL. Each of our characters is a “virtual artist,” designed to resonate with fans and grow an engaged community through music, narrative, and visual content. Ultimately, each being will serve as a platform for creators to contribute to, and hold a stake in, the character’s future.
Our team has worked with artists ranging from The Weeknd to Flying Lotus to Kendrick Lamar, creating immersive and engaging audio-visual experiences for live events and digital media. Our team is moving into the virtual artist space, to envision new experiences for fans, and to create opportunities for musicians and visual artists.
As Story Consultant, you will be central to helping us build our strategy for creating a roster of unique virtual artists. Your focus will be on developing engaging virtual beings, using our fan analytics to guide the creative process, and dreaming up a variety of personas, as well as writing early narrative beats to convey character identity to audiences. You will work closely with the marketing team, design team, and music team to coordinate character identity creation, test characters in the market, and refine characters and strategy based on testing results.
- Manage the creation of multiple diversified virtual character identities, as well as growth and evolution of successful characters.
- Spearhead writing for content pieces across digital platforms, focusing on storytelling and conveying persona in short-form.
- Work with creative and production teams to develop efficient, achievable, and effective content concepts for taking characters to market and growing audience.
- Assist in identifying metrics for successful resonance with audiences, to determine whether characters are developing meaningful connections with fans.
- 3+ years’ experience in writing for short form digital media or similar.
- Track record of working with fluid production teams, and responding to evolving
directives while maintaining focus on long-term objectives.
- Ability to integrate data-based learnings into overall approach, while delivering unique,
quality content based on said learnings.
- Ability to build creative SOPs for character development and storytelling.
- Interest and experience in crafting characters that speak to Gen Z audiences.
- BA/BS degree and/or MFA are nice-to-have.
- Desire to build new, more transparent models of ownership and participation for artistic contributors, and to create opportunities for under-represented individuals and groups.
- Open-minded to a variety of artistic styles, aesthetics, and viewpoints.
- Excited about shaping the medium of virtual artists, and creating new and joyful experiences for fans and creators, across a variety of emerging and established
- Appreciation of healthy team dynamics in an inherently creative medium, and balancing
profitability goals with artistic values and priorities.
- Love of music, film, and new creative opportunities offered by technology.
At Spirit Bomb, we are highly cognizant that creativity and innovation emerge from diverse and motivated groups of unique individuals. We seek to create a safe and inspiring work environment, and give ourselves the best chance to create value for an abundance of individuals and communities.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, national origin, age, or any other status protected by law. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
Head of Business Development
Strangeloop Studios is a new media studio and record label, producing virtual characters with a focus on music and narrative content, across digital platforms and IRL. Our studio has worked with artists ranging from The Weeknd to Flying Lotus to Kendrick Lamar, creating immersive and engaging audio- visual experiences for live events and digital media. Our team is moving into the virtual artist space, to envision new experiences for fans, and to create opportunities for musicians and visual artists.
As Head of Business Development of Strangeloop Studios you will be a central, strategic figure within the company. The Head of Business Development will be in a unique position to shape the future of the company, and will work closely with the founders to evaluate and execute on existing opportunities, manage the team, and navigate the emerging medium of digital humans.
● Collaborate with founders on short and long-term goals for Spirit Bomb (SB), our virtual artist label, including 12-month roadmap and key milestones.
● Determine metrics that best predict SB virtual artist success (on a case-by-case basis); record and monitor progress of those KPIs, prioritizing high-potential projects and making resource allocation recommendations to founders.
● Assist in crafting go-to-market strategy for SB virtual artists, managing operations around each release (including master/publishing splits with collaborators, distributor relations, social media announcements, platform partnerships, etc.).
● Drive and execute digital marketing strategy, with a focus on growing and retaining enthusiastic fan bases for SB artists. Advise on development and maintenance of SB community, across fan-focused digital platforms.
● Conduct fan engagement research, using learnings about mainstream behavior and affinity for virtual artists to shape SB strategy. Use research to relay audience feedback, suggest new character ideas, and improvements upon existing SB character designs.
● Assist in A&R for music productions, bringing SB character projects to life through collaborations with writers, producers, and established artists.
● Manage negotiations for partnerships and licenses; pitch, sign, and manage mutually beneficial deal structures with core partners, emphasizing short-term needs of SB with regard to advancing core mission/vision of the founders.
● Help dream up and execute live event possibilities for SB live events, with a COVID-safe focus in the immediate, but with global event possibilities in a post-COVID world.
● Take an active role in recruiting, building and managing a diverse team of passionate and capable individuals, as well as establishing meaningful external partnerships.
● Align with founders on path to successful follow-on fundraise in 2021, considering necessary milestones prior to next raise. Participate in investor outreach and pitch meetings, help negotiate deal terms.
● 5+ years’ experience in the music industry, proven influence and impact with strong network and broad awareness of industry dynamics and trends.
● Track record of comprehensive project management, ability to understand and execute on fluid priorities and objectives.
● Strong background in quantitative analytics and leveraging data-based insights to drive strategy.
● Deft negotiator, able to navigate incentives, personalities, and requirements on all sides, and secure successful outcomes for both SB and collaborators.
● Scrappy operator, capable of managing complex strategic issues in an emerging space, within an industry undergoing radical change.
● Highly entrepreneurial, collaborative, able thrive in fast paced and high-pressure environments.
● Familiarity with tech and entertainment ecosystems, venture capital financing, and
● BA/BS degree required, MBA is nice-to-have.
● Desire to build new, more transparent models of ownership and participation for artistic contributors, and to create opportunities for under-represented individuals and groups.
● Open-minded to a variety of artistic styles, aesthetics, and viewpoints.
● Excited about shaping the medium of virtual artists, and creating new and joyful experiences for fans, across a variety of emerging and established platforms.
● Appreciation of healthy team dynamics in an inherently creative medium, and balancing profitability goals with artistic values and priorities.
● Love of music, film, and new creative opportunities offered by technology.
Strangeloop Studios is a new media studio and record label, producing virtual characters with a focus on music and narrative content, across digital platforms and IRL. Our studio has worked with artists ranging from The Weeknd to Flying Lotus to Kendrick Lamar, creating immersive and engaging audio- visual experiences for live events and digital media. Our team is moving into the virtual artist space to envision new experiences for fans, and to create opportunities for musicians and visual artists.
As a Character Artist at Strangeloop Studios, you will help bring our virtual characters to life by: creating, maintaining, and improving upon our character designs; working closely with our character designer and animation team; developing and improving upon our character creation pipeline; and contributing to character animation.
● Bring our characters to life with a solid grasp of the principles of body movement, anticipation, overshoot, follow-through, and other facets of 3D animation.
● Help reinforce the story of our characters by creating memorable performances, across a number of diverse animation/art styles (from stylized to photoreal).
● Rigging and weight painting of characters and creatures.
● Help establish a character pipeline to be as efficient as possible across a variety of concurrent
● Refine existing and future character designs through constructive feedback, and provide technical
and artistic solutions.
● Knowledge of retopology and UV workflow for character animation.
● Ability to take a concept 3D mesh and create an animation friendly version and ability to
communicate issues that could arise from specific designs.
● Rigging, scripting, and understanding pipeline between realtime game engines to pre-rendered
● Familiarity with motion capture technology.
● Understanding of cloth and hair and how they contribute to a character’s performance.
● Technical fluency with Marvelous Designer, Maya/C4D/Blender or 3D package of choice, and
● Strong portfolio of work demonstrating character-based animation.
● Unreal Engine
● Able to effectively collaborate and communicate with other artists
● Take initiative to absorb, execute, and contribute to existing creative direction.
● Comfortable working with a small team with a startup mentality.
● Self-starter, entrepreneurial mindset in forecasting roadblocks and proactively anticipating
● Open-minded to new ideas.